Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A is for Asiago

There's a very good chance that much of the information about cheese that you'll read here is taken from none other than Wikipedia. Does that mean take it with a grain of salt? You be the judge.
OK, Monday I wrote about American cheese. Today we'll talk a bit about Asiago.
According to information on Wikipedia, Asiago is formaggio that has been made for centuries in northern Italy. We all knew that, right?

It hails from Asiago, in the province of Vicenza, in northeastern Italy...in the foothills of the Alps.

Fresh Asiago is smooth, whereas the aged variety is crumbly. It is made from cow's milk and is low in fat, and high in protein.

Wikipedia says: "Asiago is enjoyed as a complement to pasta, rice, pizza, or soup. It can also be served with hearty bread, salami, or such fruits as fresh figs or pears, and it goes well with a variety of beverages such as red wine, cranberry juice, and sparkling grape juice."

The few times I've had this cheese I've enjoyed its nutty flavor. I'll have to buy some again soon.

Anyone else have an opinion about Asiago?

4 comments:

Christy said...

Can we talk about cheese fondue? Yum-o!

Mimi Lenox said...

I have no opinion, dear Patti, about asiago. But I do like your new digs.

Congrats on the site. I will link you!

Lynn said...

It sounds like a great cheese...I may just have to go out and try some.

Sarah Caron said...

Pictures, miss Patti! You need pictures!

I personally prefer fresh Asiago to aged.