Friday, February 8, 2008

B is for Blue

I've always liked marbled, moldy bleu cheese.
Crumbled atop oil and vinegar on a tossed salad, or in chunky-style dressing. Delish. Rich and fattening.
No, I won't discuss the caloric content. I have no clue what it is. I'll leave that to serious food writers.
I'm doing this blog for fun. I'm researching fun facts about cheese, so you don't have to, and giving my humble opinions.
Blue cheese is also known as Roquefort, Gorgonzola and Stilton, depending on place of origin.

Quoting directly from Wikipedia, "Blue cheese, known in French as bleu ("blue"), is a general classification of cow's milk, sheep's milk, or goat's milk cheeses that has had Penicillium cultures added so that the final product is spotted or veined throughout with blue or blue-green mold. Some blue cheeses are injected with spores before the curds form and others have spores mixed in with the curds after they form. Blue cheeses are typically aged in a temperature-controlled environment such as a cave. Blue cheese also carries a distinct smell."

(I'll go out on a limb and say that a lot of cheeses have a distinct smell. Just wait 'til we get to Limburger.)

8~ (

1 comment:

Lynn said...

There is no way that Bleu cheese will ever cross my lips...I can't stand the look or the smell. I'd take processed American cheese over Bleu any day of the week...and that is really saying a lot!