Monday, February 4, 2008

The underrated American

I was thinking about going in alphabetical order in discussing varieties of cheese. That would mean beginning with good ol' AMERICAN.

It may be called "pasteurized process cheese food" by the manufacturers, but I think it possesses some noteworthy characteristics.
What would an All-American cheeseburger be without it? Nothing more than a hamburger, I daresay.
And what about those grilled cheese sandwiches that just hit the spot sometimes.
Where would they be without its melted, gooey goodness?
A slice of American cheese is perfect to give little children who need a snack. They always seem to enjoy its mushiness. And who could blame them?

Ralph prefers deli-sliced, but I hate waiting in line to have someone slice it for me. It may taste better than packaged, but I usually just get the individually wrapped slices for the sake of convenience.
So which do you prefer? Deli-sliced or pre-packaged? White
or orange?


Looking forward to your comments.
I never said this blog would be high brow!

7 comments:

Odat said...

I love cheeese, any kind!!
And ohhhh yes it's got to be deli sliced!!! That packaged stuff just doesn't cut it in my book!
Great name for the blog! I love it!
Peace

Christy said...

My husband prefers deli-sliced as well. And I don't buy it due to the long lines. I come home with the packaged stuff. He grabs my keys, runs out, comes back with the deli-sliced. Lol.

Lynn said...

I grew up on processed single sliced American cheese. Now I sorta gag when I even smell it. I prefer cheddar in my grilled cheese sandwiches (don't tell my doctor that I still eat them).

Patti said...

~ I actually prefer deli-sliced, just thought I'd elicit comments from my blog friends.

Odat: thanks! come back soon

Christy: you're funny

Lynn: sorry you gag!

Sarah Caron said...

Me? Kraft 2% orange slices...

I've never seen the point of getting it from the deli.

Joan said...

I can still remember unwrapping slices of Kraft American cheese when I was growing up. Then I discovered that Velveeta made grilled cheese sandwiches taste really yummy and my consumption of American cheese dipped dramatically. Oh...is Velveeta considered a cheese product?!?!?

The Curmudgeon said...

Sliced, please. Individually wrapped is waaaaay too complicated for me.

And see? I caught the theme right away. But now the Rockford Files theme song is in my head....

Maybe I'll put on the Monty Python Cheese Shop sketch... say, is that on You Tube?